How to Choose an Organic Mattress?
You spend about a third of your life in bed – at least we hope so, because you probably need those 8 hours to maximize your rest and recovery for a healthier life. Assuming you do spend a third of your life on a mattress, that adds up to decades of your lifetime! It’s worth it to choose the best mattress for your needs when it comes to both health and comfort.
What Is Your Mattress Made Of?
It’s important to research the materials that go into mattresses. Many are made with harmful chemicals and questionable synthetics, when there are perfectly good alternatives without toxicity concerns. Mattresses are largely made with one of three main support materials:
1. Metal Springs – Whether an innerspring or individual encased coils, steel springs are a traditional support material within a mattress. You can find spring or coil mattresses in a variety of comfort levels and for a variety of budgets. An organic mattress made with springs or coils obviously doesn’t have “organic coils,” since steel isn’t an organic material, but the rest of the organic mattress will be made from additional materials like organic cotton, organic wool, and organic latex. OMI offers innerspring mattresses and encased coil mattresses for adults and children.
2. Latex – Latex provides a supportive and comfortable base for your mattress, but there are a few things to look for when it comes to selecting latex. First of all, make sure you’re not allergic! People with latex allergies should avoid latex mattresses and pillows, and toppers to reduce their exposure to the allergen. Organic latex certified to the Global Organic Latex Standards meets a purity and non-toxic standard that ensures your latex is made from natural materials, not synthetic blends.
3. Polyurethane Foam – You won’t find an organic mattress made with polyurethane foam, because this material is highly flammable and requires flame retardant chemicals, which means it’s not qualified to be certified organic. We don’t recommend mattresses made with polyurethane foam, including “memory” foam, “eco-based” or “soy” foam, etc.
What Comfort Level Do You Need?
Now that you know what to look for in mattress materials, you can get into the details about comfort levels and how to pick a mattress that’s right for you. There’s good news: Whether you prefer a plush or firm feel, the right organic mattress for you is out there.
1. Side sleepers need a mattress that reduces tension and pressure points and would do well with a cushion firm or plush mattress. Organic latex is especially nice for side sleepers because it contours around the body yet still provides good support.
2. Stomach sleepers do better with a firm mattress to reduce the pressure on the back and shoulders that stomach-sleeping can create. If at all possible, you should try to sleep on your side or back, but sometimes you end up on your stomach in the night without trying. To avoid soreness and injuries, check with your doctor to rule out any possible health concerns from sleeping on your stomach, and then look into firm organic mattress options to make the most of this less-than-ideal sleeping position.
3. Back sleepers rejoice, because this is one of the best positions for spinal health while you sleep. Medium firm or cushion firm support are good ideas for back sleepers, and a high quality mattress that won’t form a body depression over time is a top choice. If your mattress starts to wear down and compress where you sleep on it, it’s not supporting your spine the way it should.
What About Your Partner?
If your sleep partner has the same needs for comfort as you do, that’s great! You can get one mattress that works for you both and you’re done. However, it’s pretty likely that you and your partner have different sleep habits and needs, and a customizable option is ideal.
Compare OMI to Other Luxury Brands
|20+ Year Warranty||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Made in USA||✓||✓||✓|
|Okeo-Tek Standard 100||✓||✓||✓||✓|
|Greenguard Gold Certified||✓|
|100%-Natural Latex Options||✓|
|Ozone Sanitation of Raw Materials||✓|
|Customizable Comfort Options||✓||✓||✓|